Reeth is a village 11 miles (18 km) west of Richmond in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England, in the civil parish of Reeth, Fremington and Healaugh. Historically part of the North Riding of Yorkshire, it is the principal settlement of upper Swaledale.
The origin of the name Reeth is unclear. It is possibly derived from the Germanic for ‘place by the stream’, although this claim can neither be confirmed nor refuted. Reeth could also have been derived from the Cumbric rith (cf. ryd in Modern Welsh, rys in Cornish ), meaning ‘Ford’. Either would make sense as Reeth is located near two shallow rivers.
Hi, for circulation a quick update on the club weekend away.
This years event is a scaled down version to previous ones, as far as I’m aware there are 5 staying at the Orchard caravan park and two at Grinton Youth Hostel, no information on anybody staying in B&B’s.
No barbecue on Friday evening, but a get together at a pub in Reeth. Saturday is walk day after which a meal has been arranged for 7pm at the Bridge inn Grinton for 12 people under the club name.
Important – Pre-ordering of food is preferable from the attached menu. Please send menu choices to email@example.com
For those feeling up for it a Sunday morning walk can be arranged.
Any further questions or late bookings please let me know.
Yes!! AFWC can now announce that the 2022 weekend away will be in Reeth on the weekend beginning on Friday 1st till Sunday 3rd July. Further details to follow but contact Eddy and Geoff if you know how. Otherwise please enquire via the online form for now.
Aycliffe Fell Walking Club – Yorks Dales – Upper Swaledale – Muker to Reeth. Saturday 15 January, 2011.
This is a reminder of the next walk and to provide you with the information sheet and the walk map prepared by Mick Beadle and Alan Holmes. Instructions for booking your place are on the sheet which is attached. Note that these have changed.
1. Reminder: there’ll be no en-route boot stop during the outward coach journey!
2. The coach will drop off as required between Reeth and Muker.
3. Remember that we are still in the grip of winter! When selecting a walk please allow for the slowing effect of snow-covered ground. Be sure to take plenty of warm clothing, including headwear & gloves, plus a reliable torch!
4. In case of emergency contact INEOS Security on 01325 303555 and / or advise Alan Holmes on 07791 239008
5. Recommended “end of walk” hostelry is the Black Bull in Reeth village centre. The coach will depart promptly at 6.30 pm.
Now that we are starting a new walking year and because there are a number of people who joined us this year, I have also attached:
– “Guidance notes for members” that include what to do in an emergency.
– A list of the walks for 2011 in pdf form.
Best wishes and a Happy New Year to you all!
Information Sheet : Yorks_Dales – Swaledale
Guidance Notes for Members
Aycliffe Fell Walking Club – Camping weekend 18, 19, 20 June
This is a reminder of the camping weekend and to provide you with information.
The telephone number of the camp site in Reeth is 01748 884475 and Pam is only holding the provisional booking until the coming weekend so if anyone wants to reserve a pitch but hasn’t yet done so it would be better to ring her soon.